- 8 Roma tomatoes, scored
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 banana shallot, peeled and quartered
- 1 small bunch thyme
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 12 sardines, whole
- Small bunch of oregano, roughly chopped
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 300g potato (or use leftover boiled potatoes)
- 500ml water
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Score the tomatoes and place them upright with the cross facing up and rub with olive oil. Place the shallots, garlic and thyme in the oil that forms below.
- Season the tomatoes with sea salt and cook them in the oven for 20 minutes using the Electrolux oven FullTaste steam function. Once ready, let the tomatoes cool and turn off the Electrolux FullTaste steam setting. Turn the oven down to 110°C.
- Once the tomatoes have cooled, remove their skin and place them back in the oven to crisp up
- Once crispy, remove the seeds from the tomato and finely chop the flesh, shallots and garlic and place in a bowl and season with the vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Scale the sardines with the back of a fork and remove their heads and spines with your thumb. Run your finger and thumb down the spine and remove it, keeping the flesh in tack and remove the head from the spine. Place the spine in the pre-heated oven to dry out for 40 minutes, then place in a mortar and pestle and crush with the sea salt.
- Mix the oregano, lemon zest, Aleppo pepper and fresh cracked pepper together in a bowl and rub the mixture over the sardine flesh.
- Boil the potatoes in the water and cook until almost falling apart. Drain the potatoes but reserve the water.
- Place the potatoes and a few tablespoons of the cooking water in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more water to the mixture to form a medium dense paste.
- Line a tray with baking paper and spread the potato paste thinly. Place the tray in the same oven as the sardine spines and cook for 2 hours.
- Once the potato mixture has baked, heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and wait until hot (190°C) and fry the potato crisps for 10 seconds each before removing it from the heated oil and placing it on absorbent paper. Season with the sardine salt.
- Turn on the oven to grill and place the sardines in for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven and rest for 2 minutes so they are cooked to about medium.
- Place a tablespoon of tomato tartare on each plate and drape 2 sardines over per plate, drizzle with a little olive oil, place a potato crisp and dried tomato skin naturally over the sardines and season with the sardine spine salt.