1kg of black mussels
60ml extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 celery heart, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, finely chopped
300ml vegetable oil
1 medium eggplant, cut into 5cm cubes
100ml red wine vinegar
50g pitted black olives
50g pine nuts
50g raisins soaked in warm water overnight
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Heat the olive oil, then fry the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the celery and cook until tender.
- Add capsicum and cook until soft.
- Transfer into a large bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in a separate pan and fry the eggplant in batches until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper before placing all cooked ingredients into a bowl.
- Add to the vinegar, olives, pine nuts, raisins, chopped parsley and sugar to the cooked vegetables.
- Season well with salt and pepper, then leave to marinate for a few hours.
- Place the mussels in steamer until they open, remove the top shell and place on serving platter.
- Distribute caponata evenly on top of the mussels and leave to marinate for 30 minutes before serving.