1.5kg brisket flat, raw
56.2g castor sugar
5.7g nitrite/pink salt
2g pickling spice
22.5g dark brown sugar
5g garlic cloves
160g coriander seeds
200g black pepper corns
- Place all ingredients into a large pot (except the ice, brisket and rub ingredients).
- Remove from heat and place into a large plastic container.
- Add the ice and mix until cold to make the brine mix.
- Submerge the brisket in the brine and refrigerate for five days to cure.
- Remove the brisket from the brine and refrigerate uncovered to dry out overnight.
- Rub the brisket with a small amount of oil and season with the coriander seeds and black pepper corns.
- Smoke for three hours in a smoker set at 113°C until internal temperatures reach 65°C.
- Remove from the smoker and place in a deep oven tray or dish and fill up to two-thirds with chicken stock or water.
- Cover with a layer of baking paper and tin foil.
- Place in an oven set at 165°C for 3 hours or until tender.
- To finish, slice the meat and place on a serving dish.