8 whole pineapples
280g butter, at room
400g fresh passionfruit
500g caster sugar
4tbsp corn flour
2 lemons, juiced
1 vanilla bean, scraped
3 egg yolks
80g caster sugar
- Cook the sugar in a heavy-based pan to make a dry caramel.
- Take off the heat and add the water and 400ml of the rum. Reserve the rest of the rum.
- Place back on the stove (WARNING: be careful and stand clear as the rum will ignite).
- Take off the heat once dissolved and add 300ml of rum.
- Top and tail the pineapples, peel the skin.
- Cut each pineapple into 6 length pieces, remove the cores and sous vide with the caramel on 25°C. Pineapple pieces should be 120g before roasting.
- Refrigerate pineapple for at least 24 hours.
- Preheat the Electrolux Steam oven to 250°C using the Electrolux Steam function.
- Place the pineapple on rack with baking paper underneath. Reserve the caramel.
- Roast the pineapple for 6 mins. Baste with the reserved caramel and roast for another 6 mins. Turn the pineapple over and roast for another 5 mins.
- Cool in the fridge uncovered.
- Place the passionfruit and lemon juice into a pot and bring to the boil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cornflour, sugar and eggs.
- Slowly pour the passionfruit mix into the egg mix while whisking
- Place back in the pot and cook on low continuously, whisking until the cornflour is cooked out and it becomes thick. Be careful not to scramble the eggs or burn on the bottom of the pot.
- Whisk in the butter at end, cool quickly in a bowl over ice.
- Once cold, store in the fridge.
- Bring cream and vanilla to the boil in a heavy based saucepan, let cool.
- Whisk egg, yolks and sugar until white and creamy and has a ribbon like consistency.
- Gradually add warm cream mixture to eggs, whisking as you add.
- Place mix into heavy based saucepan.
- Cook on low heat until mixture slightly thickens, stirring continuously so mixture doesn’t stick or burn. It should cover the back of your spoon.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Store in the fridge.