500g rhubarb stalks (4 large stalks)
2 tsp peppercorns
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tbsp fresh ginger, sliced
3 bay leaves
2 dry red chillies
250ml apple cider vinegar
200g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 large or 2 small jars with a lid, sterilized
- Rinse the rhubarb stalks, and trim the ends of the leaves. Cut into 2cm long pieces and then quarter them. Divide the spices between the two jars, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Whisk often to help dissolve the sugar and salt.
- As soon as the pickling liquid is boiling and the sugar and salt are dissolved, drop in the rhubarb and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into the jars until the liquid covers the rhubarb pieces. Close immediately with the sterilised lids.
- Allow to cool before storing in the fridge. Let the rhubarb pickles to cure for at least 2 days before eating.